Love Song

Do this play.

Maybe it's just the joy of discovery, but this was the most delightful read I've had so far. I don't know who John Kolvenbach is and have never heard of the show. I simply stumbled across it at the Dramatists Play Service website trying to fill this theme month. It's certainly not a Great Play, and I doubt there's $7500 coming Kolvenbach's way (although it did get nominated for the Olivier Award). But is it a Very Good Play, free of the weight of pretension and full of life and energy.

It's an exciting read, in large part because of how Kolvenbach writes the dialog. I will endeavor to save a thousand words by using this picture:





Bracketed words, italicized words, capitalized words, italicized capitalized words ... and that's not even capturing any of the footnotes scattered throughout the text that give a little more color to the line. It's all a bit much at first, and I initially felt like it might be too restricting to the actors. But it eventually fades away, and becomes like a musical score: Once I learned how to read the notation, I could hear the electric crackle of the speech, feel its pace and vibrancy, see the briskness of the movement. It's a fascinating attempt to communicate the play Kolvenbach obviously saw in his head.

As you might expect from the title, Love Song is about love, as a lonely maladjust finally finds someone to be with. It's a very simple play, and I probably shouldn't have been caught off guard by the simple twist. But it's not overly concerned with plot: it's about character and emotion and delicious, delicious language.

Do this play.

(In fact, if anyone from SLAC is reading this: really do this play. At least read it. It's very castable with local actors, the play is in keeping with your style, and Keven Myhre would brilliantly solve a pretty bloody tricky set design.)

Next Week: Betrayal by Harold Pinter

6 comments:

February 2, 2009 at 6:58 PM Melissa said...

What's the tricky set design about?

February 2, 2009 at 7:25 PM Melissa said...

nvm-- just googled it and found out it already had a run at Steppenwolf.

February 2, 2009 at 8:18 PM April Fossen said...

Totally agreed. On all counts. And I love these characters. Their language is so simple but there's SO MUCH realness going on in each of them. It would be a great piece for SLAC. Of course, that means I probably wouldn't get to do it...

February 3, 2009 at 8:43 AM Mark Fossen said...

Yeah, it premiered at Steppenwolf. With buckets of money.

The tricky set thing being the collapsing room.I don't know how you do that right on a couple o' bucks. Keven's a great designer, and I'm sure he'd figure it out.

February 17, 2009 at 10:19 AM Unknown said...

I'm doing this play next year at ASU. I don't know how, and I don't know in what space - but it must happen. I loved it. Can't we all relate to Beane (or maybe Molly) just a bit.

Beautiful.

February 17, 2009 at 12:01 PM Mark Fossen said...

That's great to hear, Kyle. I'd love to see it - and you will knock it out of the park!

Post a Comment