The Piano Lesson

"August Wilson has established himself as the richest theatrical voice to emerge in the U.S. since Tennessee Williams and Arthur Miller." - Time

How am I supposed to cut through that? Yes, it's a massive oversight that I haven't read August Wilson before this, but how am I supposed to read The Piano Lessonwith any kind of fresh eye with that kind of paean on the front page? I suppose I should be in paroxysms of theatrical ecstasy, but if I'm being honest a comparison to Miller and Williams is a comparison to two utterly overrated writers ... but I'm working on the assumption that Time was not trying to call Wilson overrated.

I probably should have figured out my reaction before I sat down to write this, shouldn't I? I view it a lot like I do Miller, actually: well observed poetic naturalism where the craft is obvious, but leaves me cold. I completely understand why Wilson would be hailed for this play: There's powerful images and metaphors, and a solidly-constructed story that provides good stakes for the actors.

But in the end - like so much of Miller and Williams - I look at it and say "Well, it's a brilliant example of what it is ... I just don't personally react to what it is."

0 comments:

Post a Comment