Civil Sex

I don't have an awful lot to say about Civil Sex by Brian Freeman, though I found it a fascinating read: It's an excellent piece of docu-theater, using one life to examine a history and culture in depth.

I don't have much to say because I'm full of questions about the script, questions I don't think I could answer without seeing a production or staging one:

  1. Why is Bayard Rustin himself such an enigma throughout much of the play, only to emerge forcefully near the end?
  2. For that matter, is Rustin an enigma? While he doesn't have dialogue, does the staging and his music-playing make him a central figure throughout?
  3. How does a storytelling theater style, with a handful of actors playing countless roles affect the specifics of the play? So much of the story is about race and gender and age, do those issues get blurred or heightened?
  4. The script does not lay out which actors play which roles. I know some do, so does this simply offer more freedom to the production team or does it make it too vague?

0 comments:

Post a Comment