The Brothers Size

I'm not sure what to say about The Brothers Size by Tarell Alvin McCraney, because I am left with the overwhelming feeling that it is maddeningly incomplete. And being the second part of a larger trilogy, I suppose that's no surprise. Since that trilogy won't see print the the U.S. until later this year, I feel I should hold off any final judgment until I can get a sense of the piece in context.

McCraney's language is certainly powerful, and his controversial reworking of the Yoruba myth-cycle gives the play a compelling feel of the epic as it tells a surface story that is very naturalistic. But this wonderful poem on brotherhood ends on a suspended chord, never resolving into a true conclusion any more than Bill Bixby walking with his duffel slung on his back ever ended The Incredible Hulk.

Still, a writer to keep an eye on and a play cycle I'd like it read in it's entirety later this year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment