June Plays

Like many New Year's resolutions, it's tough to sustain through the dog days here when the beginning is far behind and the end is not in sight. The halfway point should be next month, and then it gets easier with each passing week. Frankly, the reading is never an issue ... I could read a few plays a week, I think. It's finding time to write and write honestly about them that is proving difficult. Even months in, I am still trying to find a voice for this project and it's not coming easily. I can only point to one or two posts here that I am proud of, and that's not a great batting average ...

I enjoyed last month's party so much, I see no reason to end it early. So the party continues into the early days of summer with another collection of plays that have no theme beyond "I want to read them".

June 1: Take Me Out by Richard Greenberg
... and speaking of batting averages, here's a play that's intrigued me for a while. As a sports fan and theater lover, I am always interested in plays that try to blend the two.

June 8: A Lie of the Mind by Sam Shepard
Just to see if Hillman is right.

June 15: Eurydice by Sarah Ruhl
The Grand Theatre here in Salt Lake has announced this as part of their next season. It's ambitious programming for them, and I'm very excited.

June 22: We Happy Few by Imogen Stubbs
Too few roles for women around here, and that's where the talent lies. So a play about a seven-woman theater troupe touring England during World War II caught my eye.

June 29: The Piano Lesson by August Wilson
It is shameful I have never read August Wilson. Shameful. In fact, it's one of the reasons I started this project: my realization that I just completely skipped a modern master.

0 comments:

Post a Comment